There is a life expectancy for everything and that includes roofs. A properly installed commercial roof can last anywhere from 10 to 50 years or more, depending on materials used and upkeep. Sometimes the wear and tear is visible to the naked eye and other times only an expertly trained eye can detect it.
This is especially true of roof leaks. Leaks are often present for weeks and even months before any obvious signs (discolored ceiling, wet patches, mold) present themselves. If you live in Harrisburg, PA, or the surrounding area, then dial (717) 442-0979 to have one of the honest, qualified experts at Capital Coating, Inc. come out an perform a thorough visual inspection of your roof and assess it for leaks.
Reasons For Leaky Roofs
Even though roofing methods, techniques, and technology has progressed immensely in the last several decades, roof leaks remain an issue for commercial building owners and property managers. Some of the most common contributing factors to leaky roofs include the following:
- Extreme weather conditions – constant high temperatures (roofs can reach close to 200 degrees in the summer), freezing cold and ice, harsh summer or winter storms (hail, high winds contributing to uplift, wind-driven projectiles such as branches)
- Advanced age of the current roof
- Neglect/lack of routine maintenance – accumulation of debris, unaddressed damages
- Standing water due to blocked/damaged drain systems
These are just a few of the many issues that can encourage leaks in your commercial roof. A leak is an indication that your roof is in need of professional assessment and repair immediately. If you suspect or identify a leak in your commercial roof, act fast and call Capital Coating right away at dial (717) 442-0979.
Spotting A Leaky Roof
Leaks run the gamut from small drips that can go undetected for months (like a small tear in the roof membrane that allows intermittent moisture to seep in and cause a moldy patch in your insulation) to sudden emergencies that can flood the home (think a downed tree branch in a downpour). Some signs are evident just from a ground-level look at the roof, while others necessitate a more involved inspection – accessing the attic, for instance. Here are some signs you can look for if you suspect a leak:
- Algae and mold on the roof
- Buckling or curling shingles
- Peeling or loose roofing material
- Dripping water in the attic or interior walls/ceiling
- Peeling or bubbling paint
What Should You Do?
No matter the state of your roof, we recommend having your roof inspected at least twice a year to protect against the possibility of leaks and take care of any warning signs before they become a big problem. Call (717) 442-0979 today to get a professional opinion from the experts at Capital Coating, Inc.